Monday, January 9, 2017

Downgrade From MacOS Sierra to Yosemite

Last week, I was compelled to upgrade my system from Mac OS X Mavericks to MacOS Sierra because most of my new hardware and software no longer supports older operating system. It was also my opportunity to tidy things up on my computer, a fresh install would make my laptop faster and like new.

After I finished installing and running MacOS Sierra, I immediately installed Propellerhead Reason 8, Ableton Live Lite, and Native Instruments Maschine with Komplete Selection.



I also checked right away if my new audio interface, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd gen) will be detected and easily configured on the audio input/output settings of my DAW. It turns out that I have to put up an aggregate audio device so that the record/line input form my soundcard can be used on Reason 8 and Ableton Live. I had difficulty recording guitar tracks and bass parts using real music instruments. I also noticed latency problems and the operating system hogs a lot of my RAM and CPU.

So, I decided to do another reformat. I installed Mac OS X Yosemite instead of Mavericks, the newer system meets the minimum system requirements of my music applications.

I might upgrade to a newer operating system in the future if my laptop will be upgraded with SSD hard drive and additional memory modules. MacOS Sierra seems to run flawlessly on faster laptops or newer machines. For now, I'll stick to what works best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment